Funding Opportunities – Florida Edition
With the recent passage of the $2 trillion American Rescue Plan, Florida’s K-12 schools are poised to receive more than $7 billion in assistance, far and away the largest of the three COVID-19-related relief acts (CARES Act, CRRSA), which together will inject almost $11 billion into schools across the state over the next few years. The latest round of funds should be distributed to LEAs within 60 days of receipt by the state, in direct proportion to Title I funding allocations.
ESSER, ESSER II & ARP ESSER
- Brolly assists in the COVID-19 response for special education teachers and service providers, who have seen their service model disrupted by the current pandemic.
- With the app, providers can document and share both virtual and in-person services, service attempts, attendance and student progress.
- The data gathered and presented through Brolly can be vital to determining the scope of learning loss for special education students, one of the hardest-hit groups during the pandemic, and documenting all attempts to serve students in all phases of school closure and reopening.
- The service provision data created and maintained within Brolly can bolster the required detailed district and state accounting and reporting of the use of ESSER, ESSER II and ARP ESSER funds, with a focus on how the State is using funds to measure and address learning loss among students disproportionately affected by the coronavirus and school closures, including children with disabilities. Streamlining progress and service data gives providers more time to deliver targeted, high quality intervention to students with the most need.
Florida Funding Notes
- Florida continues to promote literacy growth explicity with its recommended uses of ESSER funds, calling “a proactive plan that will reinforce literacy supports, especially for Florida’s low-income and academically struggling K-5 students” one of its top three priorities for funding.
- Florida has simplified its application process for ESSER II funds – no budget or project narrative is needed – now only the Project Application (DOE Form 100A) and ESSER II Assurances that need to be submitted to the Office of Grants Management in the ESSER II ShareFile. LEA Contacts from the CARES/ESSER Formula Grant ShareFile have current access for the ESSER II ShareFile. To add or remove individuals, send request to OGM@fldoe.org